Frequently Asked Questions
Starting a new career or a new job means you have lots of questions. We asked our driver development program managers and driver recruiters what questions driver candidates ask the most. Chances are you’re wondering the same things.
How do I apply to be a YRC Freight driver?
Easy. Review our Driver Jobs Page and you’ll find all the information you’ll need to apply.
How long does the application process take?
We receive many applications from around the country because we offer some of the most competitive pay and benefits in the LTL freight industry.
We know you want to get to work fast. If you’re not driving, you’re not making money. Our application process is streamlined and we get in touch with candidates as quick as humanly possible.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview usually within 5 to 7 business days. When you’ll be behind the wheel depends on your experience.
What if I don’t have driving experience or a CDL?
Don’t worry. We have a driver training program that lets you work on the dock while studying for your CDL test. Our program covers both classroom and road driving training from experienced drivers.
How long does it take to get a CDL?
160 hours including both classroom studying and practice behind the wheel on the road with an experienced driver. Learn more about our training programs for experienced, new drivers and active or ex-military candidates.
Am I qualified if I have a DUI, violation or accident on my motor vehicle record (MVR)?
At a minimum, to be eligible to participate in our driver training program, an applicant must have:
- A clean driving record meeting all company qualifications.
- No more than one preventable accident within the last 36 months.
- No DUI within the last 36 months.
- Not more than two moving violations in the last 36 months.
- No more than one major preventable accident while driving a commercial vehicle.
If hired, what pay and benefits will I receive?
YRC Freight is known for having the best pay and benefits in the industry.
- 100% company-paid health care benefits and vacation time.
- Union contract pay rates: first year road driver may earn up to $60,000 (paid by the mile), and city drivers may earn an average of over $20 per hour.
- YRC Freight is the only company in the industry that pays road drivers an hourly rate should there be a breakdown or load delay.
Visit our benefits page for a full list.
How often will I get paid?
Weekly, via direct deposit, when allowed by law.
How much will I be away from home?
Did I fill out the application correctly?
Our Human Resources team will review your application and contact you to schedule an interview if you meet the qualifications for the job you applied for. If your application is incomplete, it’s possible someone from our HR team will contact you if you meet other qualifications.
If you just want to double check that we received your application or you have questions on how to complete it, a driver recruiter can help. Just call 877-249-2271.